- Published on Wednesday, 09 November 2016 01:21
Here at Beale & Cullen Dental the team are making the conscious choice to switch to water. Quite reasonably some of our patients ask us why, so we have gathered some frightening facts about sugary drinks to back up our choices.
- As well as being highly acidic there is no nutritional value in sugary drinks so they contribute empty calories to our diet
- One can of a sugary drink every day could contribute to a gain of 6.5 kgs in weight over the year
- There are about 16 teaspoons of sugar in a 600ml bottle of soft drink and a normal size can of soft drink contains 10 teaspoons of sugar
- The World Health Organisation recommends the intake of sugar should be reduced to 12 teaspoons per day and ideally a further reduction to 6 teaspoons per day for an adult to help prevent dental decay
- The sugar and acid levels in sugary drinks including diet drinks cause tooth decay
- In New Zealand a third of children and nearly two thirds of adults are overweight or obese
- You are at greater risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some cancers if you are either overweight or obese
Switching to water is an awesome first step towards better health because there is no sugar and no calories in water and it is non acidic. Not only are there great health benefits in switching to water but when we use reusable water bottles we are also helping reduce the amount of plastic in landfill.
Here at Beale & Cullen Dental switching to water just makes sense!